
Yesterday I decided to try out one of the recipes from my new Cookbook (Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey). Black Bottom Cupcakes was the recipe of choice. I was craving some serioius chocolate and boy did I ever get it. These cupcakes are not for the faint of heart. They are so rich - but oh, so yum they'll leave you in a stupor! Here's the recipe - give it a try (and make sure you've got lots of nice cold milk on hand to help you wash it down!!)
Filling
8oz. Mascarpone Cheese
1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
1 large egg
Pinch of Salt
1t. pure vanilla extract
1c. miniature semi sweet morsels
Cake Batter
1 1/2c. All purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 c. boiling water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1T. apple cider vinegar
1t. pure vanilla extract
Topping
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 c. unsalted butter
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1 t. pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350.
Make the filling: In a medium bowl cream together mascarpone, confectioner's sugar, egg salt and vanilla. Stir until smooth and creamy. Stir in chocolate chips.
Make cake batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a 2 cup meauring cup combine the boiling water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients. Stir together just until smooth.
Place enough cake batter in each cupcake cup to cover the bottom and top with a heaping tablespoon of filling. Top the filling with enough cake batter to cover filling. Bake until the cupcakes are puffed and firm about 25 min.
Make the topping: Combine all the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 min. Romove from microwave and stir until smooth. If choclate is not completely melted continue to microwave for 30 sec. until smooth.
Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack and let cool completely. When cool, dip the top of each cupcake in the glaze (feel free to double dip). Let excess glaze drip from the cupcakes for a few seconds and then place the cupcake right-side up on the wire rack until the glaze firms up before serving. (I didn't want to deal with the drippy mess, so I waited until the glaze had firmed up a bit in the bowl and just frosted the cupcakes with it).
Grab a glass of milk and ENJOY!!


13 comments:
Wowza is right - I just gained 15.5calories just reading the recipe. Ouch those look yummy! Luckily I am not that major of a chocolate lover, but wish I could hear the kids say chocolate right here. Great photo as well - cookbook quality. This cookbook sounds illegal.
Love
California Mom
This sounds lovely! Yummy!
Mmmm, that looks so yummy. I might have to try that one. Keep passing on the recipes for us.
they were pretty darn delish! chris ate 2 in like 5 seconds flat! he's nuts. i got one down, but barely! :)
That looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try that one out!
Holy Cow! Those were AWESOME!!!! Thanks for sharing!!! They were sooo good! i'm sure it was hard to give them up, but it was SO appreciated!!!!...and Yes, I shared with Lance! Didn't want to, but I did.... :)
mmmm, Mama likes the sound of that! You are a whiz in the kitchen my friend.
that sounds like a lot of work! i'll just let you make them and if you ever need someone to help you polish them off, give me a call! they look so good!
kristen, your killin me! will you come to my house and make me some treats please?
kristen, your killin me! will you come to my house and make me some treats please?
Ben made a similar version of these lovely sinful creatures, but boy yours looks even more voluptuous-i didnt think that was possible....
Oh geez, excuse my choice of words-they were meant in the most culinary sense.....I am obviously not fastidious tonight.
those look sick and right! seriously yummy. ya know, you are my visiting teacher and you may just need to bring me by one of those. only one though, cuz i will eat the whole plate otherwise.
Post a Comment