Sunday, October 19, 2008

A word about fair food

I can't very well blog about the Fair without at least mentioning the food. It was like nothing we've ever seen, or even heard of, before. They had all the usuals - corn dogs, cotton candy, popcorn etc. And then there's always the roasted turkey legs (just usual for Texas, I think) But what we didn't know is that you can get just about any deep fried thing you could possibly imagine (and a few I can't even wrap my head around - like deep fried latte??? or deep fried coke) at the Texas State Fair. We saw deep fried cookie dough, deep fried cheesecake,Texas fried jelly belly beans, deep fried PBJ&B (peanut butter, jelly and banana) deep fried moon pies and let's don't forget Crispy fried cantelope pie. But if deep fried isn't your style you can always try a pickle pop (like an otter pop made with pickle juice)or some pork on a stick. To see a more detailed list of (just some of) the food choices take a look here.

We had to try at least a couple...we went for the Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Waffle Balls (strawberries covered in chocolate, dipped in waffle batter and deep-fried. Then dusted with powdered sugar and served on a stick.)

















And the Deep Fried S’mores – Marshmallow cream and chocolate chips are sandwiched between two graham crackers, dipped in batter, fried and dusted with powdered sugar.





And lastly, we had to stick around for the Light Parade before calling it a day...actually Porter had already called it a day at that point...poor little guy!

13 comments:

Jan said...

What's not to like about everything deep-fried, right? My daughter-in-law blogged about deep-fried snickers bars. It all sounds good to me!

Unknown said...

is it wrong that that sounds AMAZING?! i'm SO there next year.

Vicki said...

I need a "barf bag" just reading these items - yipes! But thanks for sharing, y'all! Yee haa!
California Mom

The Amayesings said...

I found you! Do you remember Tia? That's me. I was looking through some old mission letters and found yours among them. I had to try to find you. You don't know how much the cookies and diet coke back at the MTC so many years ago meant to me! Glad to see you looking so happy and beautiful with a gorgeous family.

Heidi said...

Looks like tons of FuN!!! Yummy!! Hey, speaking of yummy, I need some of your caramel brownies!!!

Slesk Family said...

I wanna move to Texas.
Seems it's nothing but Fair, Music Festivals, Good food ....:)
It's great that you are getting out and exploring your world.
PS thanks for the toffee chips.
Can't wait to make the goodies!

Maren and Dustin said...

Oh man, we had fried Oreo's at Trail of Lights last year, and they were awesome. How do you fry a drink, I suppose? That just sounds silly.

Sarah said...

You guys are always out having fun adventures!! We need to get out more! Love the shot of sleeping Porter. All that fun is exhausting.

Allison said...

I love that last picture! Very cool. It looks like you guys had a great time!

Anonymous said...

You chose the food I would have chosen. I don't know about a pickle pop. I do love pickles but not that much. Sounds like the fair was fun!

Brock Family said...

I am in love with your Texas experience! Who can resist frozen pickle juice!

Lena said...

Okay, the sound of some of those things actually made me queasy! And others, how is it even physically possible to deep fry! I was happy to read which ones you did try (THEY sounded GOOD!)

Kristi said...

Hee! That pictureofMark made me laugh--and you look cute in your pic. I think the food sounds pretty dern good.