Sunday, May 25, 2008

Beach to Bay


Last weekend a few of us girls got together and ran the Beach to Bay Relay Marathon in Corpus Cristi. This was the first time I had done a relay type race. It was a lot of fun. More fun than the actual race was a weekend away with friends. The five of us (Me, Andrea, Natalie, Karen and Kristi) headed down Friday night, checked into our hotel and went to find some food. Due to a series of wrong turns and just plain bad luck we ended up eating at probably the worst IHOP in the country. {I can't say for sure, since that was my first (and probably last) dining experience there, but if they were all like that, I can't imagine they would still be in business.} After driving the length of the course and figuring out all the drop off/pick up points - we got to bed a little later than we probably wanted to since the wake up call came at 4:50. {That's right - we were on the road at 5:15!} I'm amazed by these women...Karen ran the first leg which was on the beach. Yup! 4.5 miles of sand!! And the more amazing part of that is that she spent most of the night before being sick and throwing up. Natalie ended up running 2 legs of the race (about 9 miles) because one of our teammates had to cancel last minute. AND she did it in borrowed shoes. {Who goes to a race and forgets their running shoes??? - well, Natalie does I guess;)}. Luckily she wasn't the only size 8 in the group she wore Kristi's shoes in her first leg and Karen's in the last leg.
Andrea ran her leg so fast that we weren't even looking for her yet and she ran right past us and had to come back. And Kristi got to run all the way to the end of her leg and then about 1/4 of the way back because we were stuck in traffic and she got ahead of us. I didn't do anything amazing like these guys, but my leg was the only one with a slightly large (but luckily short) hill in it. All in all a great weekend and I think we'll all be back next year. We will need a 6th runner next time in case you're interested...but beware - we've already decided the newcomer gets the beach leg!!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

oh, man, i was all ready to sign up until you threw in that beach leg curve ball! haha, yeah right. you've met me, right!? :) but i'm pleased to have so many clever, fit friends!

Natalie Scott said...

I'm still thinking about the Cheesecake Factory...yum!

What a fun race it was...and what a doofus I am for forgetting my shoes! Seriously, my brain does not function at full capacity.

Thanks for the fun weekend, Kristen, I had such a good time with you gals ;)

Jan said...

Sounds like a blast!! Lots of fun with the race and with the friends. Love it.

Maren and Dustin said...

Wow, way to go for doing something so cool! If I didn't hate running so much, maybe I'd take a second look at that beach leg...

Vicki said...

Kristen - you look HOT! And I don't mean heat ways! I am in such envy of your running - I hate it! I wish I liked it - this looked like a great event. I am so proud of you - as always!
California Mom

Allison said...

What a great idea! You are amazing.

Slesk Family said...

Way to go Kristen!
What a fun idea.

Hacking it up said...

You guys are my heroes!!

I hate to run.

That's why i am fat.

I guess that's how it's gonna stay.

Crap.

Wendy said...

that's awewome! congrats! maybe next year i can run with ya'll! i'll do the beach part since i ran a half marathon on the beach!

hoLLy said...

hey, blogstalker here:) i had to see who this girl was who cut the crust off her hubby's sandwich(got this tidbit from the hackings blog:) anyways, had to comment here because i was born and raised in corpus christi! however, i never did the beach to bay because i'm a sissy:) congrats on you gals for finishing and doing so great! i know karen, andrea, natalie and kristi(okay, never met kristi, but am a blog friend of hers:) because i used to live in your area and was in the hill country ward barely over 2 years ago. so, anyways, just wanted to clarify i'm not a psycho-i actually know some of you gals! :)