Call me a dork if you want -- there is NO shame in my game. I am an "Austen-ite" of the highest degree. Nothing sets my heart aflutter like a good Jane Austen book or movie. Sunday nights viewing of Persuasion was no different. The kiss at the end almost ruined it (I think if I watch it again I'll just turn it off after she says yes...I know how the rest goes and I can do without seeing that long drawn out lip quiver again) but having said that - I really liked the rest of it. It's funny how having read the books and knowing how the story ends doesn't take away from my enjoyment in watching them one bit. Of course, if you've read a lot of Jane Austen there are certain elements that you come to expect in pretty much every novel. For example - never fall for the second good looking man who comes on the scene and shows an interest in our heroine...he is for sure going to end up being a cad! There will usually be a family of all girls (meaning their estate is to be entailed away) and usually at least one of those girls is a complete idiot. At least one parent will be "quirky". etc. etc. and yet - I love them all and continue to enjoy all of it.Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Persuasion
Call me a dork if you want -- there is NO shame in my game. I am an "Austen-ite" of the highest degree. Nothing sets my heart aflutter like a good Jane Austen book or movie. Sunday nights viewing of Persuasion was no different. The kiss at the end almost ruined it (I think if I watch it again I'll just turn it off after she says yes...I know how the rest goes and I can do without seeing that long drawn out lip quiver again) but having said that - I really liked the rest of it. It's funny how having read the books and knowing how the story ends doesn't take away from my enjoyment in watching them one bit. Of course, if you've read a lot of Jane Austen there are certain elements that you come to expect in pretty much every novel. For example - never fall for the second good looking man who comes on the scene and shows an interest in our heroine...he is for sure going to end up being a cad! There will usually be a family of all girls (meaning their estate is to be entailed away) and usually at least one of those girls is a complete idiot. At least one parent will be "quirky". etc. etc. and yet - I love them all and continue to enjoy all of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
i liked it too! although i'm still partial to the "old" captain wentworth. but i liked this one, too, and thought overall the casting was better. you're right, though. that kiss was rather drawn out. just get on with it, peeps!
Yep--Colin Firth move over; there's another dashing, mysteriously brooding Austen man in town! He was almost too pretty next to Anne!
Amen sister. I loved it too except for that weird kiss scene. Couldn't they film it like he was dying to kiss her too?
Can I get an Amen, sister?! Loved it. He really is so pretty to me, but the kiss..I felt a little awkward for her. Maybe it will grow on me...
I too am a love-sick Austen-ite...who also happens to be an Austin-ite! :)Why is it the men in these things are always so much better looking than the women? Did men just like ugly women back then?...Where are all of those men now?!?...hhmmmm I'm living in the wrong time period.
How did I miss this? I use to be the walking TV guide(so I've been told). Have I lost my powers?!? It sounds like a worthwhile program, I will have to make the effort to find a DVD of it somewhere.
Wow! I never knew there were so many of us. I have been reading Jane Austen since High School and never tire of it. Persuasion is on my netflix queue and I can't wait to get it. MissyK, you can come up and watch it with me! Thanks for letting me 'come out' and find I am such good company.
Post a Comment