This is Sarah. I love Sarah and it has been FAR too long since I have seen her. Sarah is a lot of things, she's a mother, a wife, a sister, an amazing writer (I LOVE to read her blog, but it's private so, sorry to the rest of you who won't get that opportunity) she's quick witted and very funny. Not everyone knows this because she can also be quiet and shy at times. She's tender-hearted. She would never in a million+ years hurt anyone intentionally. She's also my niece. There are 2 very specific times that Sarah comes to mind because she and I share 2 very specific "quirks" (I guess that's the best name for it). Because I encountered both of those situations already today, I have Sarah on my mind.

The first quirk we share is presents. Both of us worked as gift wrappers at different stores when we were teenagers. And because of that experience (and just because of our personalities) we CANNOT abide an unfolded edge when we wrap presents. Because I know this about her - I think about her everytime I wrap presents, which I was doing today for Cooper's birthday tomorrow.

The second is pennies. Neither one of us can leave a penny. Once we've seen it - it must be picked up. I attended her ward one time when we were both living in Provo where someone gave a talk on the worth of souls. He talked about how each of us has the same worth to Heavenly Father. We're all pennies. Some of us are new and shiny - other have been neglected or lost. They no longer shine - they may be tarnished or sratched but when you put 100 of them together it still makes a dollar. (There was much more to the talk - but you get the idea).
The first quirk we share is presents. Both of us worked as gift wrappers at different stores when we were teenagers. And because of that experience (and just because of our personalities) we CANNOT abide an unfolded edge when we wrap presents. Because I know this about her - I think about her everytime I wrap presents, which I was doing today for Cooper's birthday tomorrow.

The second is pennies. Neither one of us can leave a penny. Once we've seen it - it must be picked up. I attended her ward one time when we were both living in Provo where someone gave a talk on the worth of souls. He talked about how each of us has the same worth to Heavenly Father. We're all pennies. Some of us are new and shiny - other have been neglected or lost. They no longer shine - they may be tarnished or sratched but when you put 100 of them together it still makes a dollar. (There was much more to the talk - but you get the idea).
I sometimes play a game called Lucky Penny that I made up for days when I just don't feel like going for a run. I have to run, but as soon as I see a penny on the ground I can turn around and go home...usually I end up finishing my run with no penny.
Today at Target there was a penny on the ground behind my car. My hands were full so I unloaded the cart, got the kids buckled in and thought "I'll just let someone else find that penny"...but I couldn't - I got out & picked it up. Maybe it's a little OCD, or maybe it's just "tradition". But no matter the situation - when I pick up a penny it ALWAYS reminds me of Sarah.
I hope you're doing well Sarah. I miss you and hope I get to see you this summer!
{P.S. Sarah means Princess...in case you missed that connection. ;)}

2 comments:
Oh my goodness!
It's been one of "those" days today. I've been a little down. O.K., a lot down. Call it PMS. Call it the unemployment roller coaster we've been on. Call it February in Utah. But I need a vacation!
Anyway, I honestly did a double take when I saw my face at the top of today's post. And, again, blame it on the monthly hormones, but I got a little teary as I read along. Thank you for thinking of me. I needed that today. Come to think of it, my nose has been itching ALL day. I thought I was getting sick, (and automatically added that to my personal pity list) but now I know it was you causing all that itchiness. That's nice for two reasons. One, I must not be getting sick (phew!) and two, it's always nice to be gushed about...I mean thought of.
You'll be happy to know that I've held true to our quirky tradtions. A gift wrapped with rough edges is a gift poorly wrapped. You'll not find that at our house. Thank you Emporium. Thank you for all that free gift wrap you offered your customers. I'm forever grateful to the Emporium for my professional gift wrapping abilities. And, about the pennies. I need your expert opinion. There's an extremely tarnished penny just beneath our roadside mailbox. I'm certain no one else has noticed it and even if they have, they've not given it a second thought. But, contrary to my past penny practices, I've not picked it up. Here's my thought. I've been in need of some good luck lately. Some big time good luck. I don't come across pennies very often anymore. So, I've rationalized myself into thinking that if I just leave that penny right where it is and look at it daily as I retrieve our mail, maybe, just maybe, I'll have a constant stream of positivity flowing my direction. Are you with me? Have I strayed too far from the path? Your stance on this topic matters more to me than anyone else's!
Well, in conclusion to the longest comment I've ever written, thank you again. I'm certain you were on the Lord's errand today while constructing this post. You made my day. You saved this day just in time! Love you!!
You are a sweet auntie and a good friend. We're all lucky to have you (and Sarah) in our lives.
Post a Comment