Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Porter's broken arm


The boys were playing, I was cleaning up breakfast when I heard a crash and Porter crying. The crash, as it turned out, was a tipped over bar stool that Porter had been on. I didn't think much of it. I just kissed his arm and held him until he stopped crying. Seemed pretty normal. But Porter would come back crying every few minutes - and I started to notice that he was avoiding using it. I decided that I should probably take him in and have it looked at. But on this particular day Mark had left early to drop my car off at the dealership to have something fixed and I had accidentally left my cell phone (my ONLY phone) in that same car. (Of course, right?)
So I was messaging Mark at work previous to this and messaged him one more time to tell him to call the dr.'s office and see if they could see him today...no response. By this time Mark was in a meeting. GREAT!
I decided to get the car seats into Mark's car and head over the the Dr. office. Even if they told us they couldn't see us until 4 and we'd have to come back, it would be better than sitting in the ER all day. But luckily, and much to my relief, they said they could see him in about 5 min. The doctor said it seemed fine, but we should take an x-ray just to make sure. Since it was Friday I decided that was probably the best idea. And sure enough - he had a buckle fracture. They sent us home with a splint to wear until the swelling went down and we made an appointment to get his cast the following Monday. He's been a great sport about it. It hasn't slowed him down much...just kept us away from the pool during the hottest June/July in Austin's history. So it goes! With 2 boys - I'm sure this is just the first of a few (hopefully not many) similar experiences.

2 comments:

The Amayesings said...

What a bummer!!! I hope he's feeling better soon.

Allison said...

That's a really cute picture with Cooper resting his hand on Porter's cast. Such a good brother.